Wednesday, August 30, 2006

What's Going On Here?

OK, to steal a line from South Park, have I broken a funny fuse? Either there's something wrong with the entire movie-watching world, or Luke and I have busted fuses. Not only did we recently not enjoy The Wedding Crashers, which many people that I know liked, but last night we watched The Matador, which friends had told us was HILARIOUS, and we couldn't stand it. What is going on?

I had half a dozen moments where I sort of "ha" laughed, more chuckled, I suppose, but "hilarous" wasn't a word that ever came into my mind. Who directed that thing? IMDB tells me it was Richard Shepard. Luke, at one point said, "this looks like a cheap Quentin Tarantino movie", and he was right on. The bizarre scenes for no apparent reason: Juian (Pierce Brosnan) walking through the lobby in his Speedo, heading for the pool, then dropping into the water, sunglasses on, drink in hand, where he sees - a shark? What in the world was that about. I think there are less outrageous ways to show that Julian is starting to fall apart. The giant, cheap-looking titles of: MEXICO and DENVER and BUDAPEST telling you where the scene is taking place, sort of Tarantino-ish, but cheesy. The random, unnecessary sex scenes: the sex scene with the dog chewing on Julian's pant leg - our entire scene in BERLIN - what was the reason for that? I think I got it early on in the movie that Julian filled his non-hit man life with sex and alcohol, I don't think it was necessary to throw random sex scenes in all through the movie to prove that point. I did like how the end wrapped up and brought you back to the earlier scene in Mexico City where something happened to cause Danny to "owe one" to Julian. I liked that. See? I do have positive things to say.

Well anyhow, you get it, something is wrong with me and Luke. We need replacement funny fuses, ours are broken.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Don't worry, that movie didn't look very funny to me either. I'm about to watch Friends with Money (the Jennifer Aniston movie). I will let you know if it's any good.

Optimistic Diva said...

I thought Wedding Crashers was UnFunny too. Rock on!