Thursday, October 19, 2006

Being Nice Finally Pays Off!

I hate parking meters. Especially Hartford parking meters where you get 2 mintes for a nickel, 5 minutes for a dime, and 10 minutes for a quarter. Seriously. 10 minutes for a QUARTER!?

I had to go to Hartford this morning to work on the chalkboards at Max Downtown again. Since the sun doesn't come up until after 7am, I left in the dark with a still sleeping Luke and Molly snuggled up in bed. I grabbed a handful of change for the meter from the change bowl, not sure what I grabbed since the room was dark, and I headed into Hartford. Well. I got to my meter and found that all I had a bunch of pennies and a few dimes. Crap! I was only able to feed the meter for 47 minutes. Not long enough.

What I hate almost as much as parking meters is parking tickets. $15 parking tickets in the lovely city of Hartford.

I was up on the ladder, adding "Chili Steak Fries" and a drawing of a Veuve Clicquot champagne bottle to the chalkboard, among other paradoxes, thinking that I was totally screwed. I was going to get a parking ticket, there was no way I wouldn't.

I left the restaurant and walked to my car where I see an employee of the Hartford Parking Authority circling my car. Ug. I walked over and said, "that's for me, huh?" He smiled, tapped on his little ticket-making machine, I put my stuff in the car. He looked up and asked me, "why aren't you arguing with me?" I told him that I didn't see any reason to. He was doing his job, I did something wrong, I accept my fate. He smiled. I boiled inside. I really can't stand paying the city of Hartford $15 for parking when they don't wash my car or deliver it to the door of Max Downtown for me. He walked over to me and handed me my ticket. Just a warning this time.For being NICE! Ha! Finally, nice pays off. Check it out:

No comments: