Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Americade 2006

(OK so this is a shot of Luke's old Sportster, clean and pretty just before we sold it, but all my Americade pictures are on my home computer so this one's going to have to do.)

I just found out today that we're going to be taking a trip to Lake George, NY next week for Americade 2006 and I'm so excited! First off, I haven't taken a vacation in a long, long time and I really need one, and secondly, Lake George is one of my favorite places to go, especially on a motorcycle and especially in June when the air is clear and the weather is warm. Two years ago we took this same trip and had the most amazing week we've had in a long time.

In 2004, I was new to riding, I was just gaining my confidence on Ol' Bessie (the '83 Nighthawk) and I was going back and forth in my head the week before we left - I'm going to ride my bike, no, I think I should be a passenger, no, I'm riding my own bike... Finally, the night before we left I decided that I'd be mad at myself if I didn't ride so we left the next morning on two bikes and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I think taking that trip to Americade gave me the time in the seat and the confidence that short trips around home weren't giving me.

We took the longest possible route from Connecticut to New York and rode on some of the most amazing roads. Big hills and sweeping curves, lookouts and valley-views. We rode through farms and forests and tiny little towns. After a few hours, we were hot and tired, searching the middle of nowhere in the 90-degree June heat for a place to stop for lunch. All I wanted was a big glass of seltzer and Luke was ready for an icy cold beer when we came up on a place so perfect, I'm still doubting that it could have really existed. Not only did it have seltzer, it had Rolling Rock, air conditioning, and burritos! What more could we want? We recharged and cooled down and got back on our bikes, even happier after our perfect pit stop. In total, it took us six hours to get there and, except for the heat, I was in heaven. Bessie and I were getting to know each other better and my increased confidence on the bike allowed me to relax and enjoy the trip that much more.

We stayed with some friends who were nice enough to let us camp out on the floor of the cabin they rented in Lake George. We spent four days riding and shopping, eating and racing go-carts. We met some new friends and had such perfect weather. It still seems like a dream. Nothing went wrong (except for the little allergic reaction I had at dinner when we realized that the tonic in my beloved gin and tonic contains sulfa - which I'm allergic to - but that was over quickly and no harm was done). I was so proud of myself for being brave enough to ride and for keeping up with the pack and for trying and learning and having a great time, that I bought myself a little rally pin that says "Americade 2004". I wear it on my riding jacket to remind me of that fantastic week. It was a dream trip and I have been dying to go back. Now I will!

This time we're leaving at night because of our work schedules and we're going to take the highway up. I'll be on the Cyclone now that Luke's got his new Ulysses with the luggage bags and all (I'm very excited about that). I'm looking forward to riding the Buell on those great mountain roads around the lake, but the wind on the highway up there's going to be rough. Once we get up there it'll be fine. We're staying with the same friends again (hi Fran and Tracy!) and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some more great weather. Stay tuned for more Americade stories in a couple of weeks and more pictures than I'm sure you care to see.

No comments: