Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Sketchy

I know, you've all been wondering, Lisa, what's it like to get an illustration job? Well, being the passive marketer I've been lately, I have to admit, I almost forgot. Thankfully, my favorite clients Ford Folios, called recently to ask me to work on a new project for a local fair catalog. I thought it might be fun to share the steps of a new job with you.

#1 Ideas and Rough Sketches

The wonderful folks at Ford Folios are brilliant and creative and usually have a good idea of what they'd like to see before they call me, so for me, that's very nice. Their specific ideas and my little touches make for a fun project. For this one, they wanted a picture of the kids' pedal tractor pull with kid on a pedal tractor pulling a wagon of candy or apples or something like that. The catalog is small, and there needs to be room for the title and some text here and there. I got to work on some very rough sketches and here's what I came up with.


#2 Fine-Tuning the Design

The FF folks thought that the girl looked more like she was in a parade than a tractor pull and neither of us was thrilled with the boy with the apples. We both liked the thrid boy with the puppy and the girls i nthe background, but they asked if I could also add a weight to the wagon. After redrawing it with the weight, I decded that the wagon looked a little crowded wit hthe puppy so lef thim out. I thought the wagon needed a little character, so I decided it should be made out of wood, and I thought that the background didn't look like a fairground, so I added some fair details. The FF folks liked the girls in the background because they thought it looked like that boy was trying to impress them. This is what the next sketch looked like.
The FF folks liked the weight, but missed the puppy (me too!) and they said they liked the simpler tree/bird background a opposed to the fair background. I had to redraw the wagon to make it a little bigger to accomodate the puppy, and move the girls back a bit so the puppy didn't cover them. Here's what I came up with.
It's up to the fair officials now to approve the sketch and then when I get the OK, I can put paint to paper. Now for step 3, waiting.

No comments: